Monday, November 26, 2007

Travel, fog, rain, clouds, sun ...

Put all of that into one day and you have our day! It started out fairly early -- rainy, foggy day in Atlanta!! Yuk!! Two different climates ... rainy and cold in Atlanta -- sunny and WARM in Florida when we arrived home this evening.

Okay, so I'm ahead of myself, sort of. Isn't that the way I usually am! (Teri talked for quite a while yesterday to Phil and Lynne Driscoll. After a while, she said, "I'm my mother's daughter. I'll just keep on talking ... " So .. I'm rambling again!)

Let's backtrack to last night -- Wii game ... my brother has the big screen TV and the game. So, needless to say, his boys are facing the TV, "controllers" in their hands and are ready to play baseball, tennis, golf, bowling. Whatever strikes their fancy at the moment. But, it is pretty funny when one can't manage to hit the golf ball -- that wasn't actually my nephew but a friend of theirs who wanted to try his hand at it. You think Teri was going to miss out on the fun? Hardly! She thought she would put Rudy to bed and then play. WRONG!!! Rudy was not going to miss out on the fun so he positioned himself on Shonna's lap facing his mom (to make sure he knew right where she was at all times) ... and stayed up until .. well, midnight or so!! I was surprised that Teri was ready to go to the airport at 7:35am. Actually, we were supposed to leave at 7:30am but if you know Teri at all, you will know that leaving on time must have sent a shock wave across the world! So, we were only 5 minutes late.

We trudged along (in our van, of course) to the airport amid messy conditions. We were not complaining - Atlanta needs rain desperately!! So, I was happy they had rain even though I wasn't thrilled about driving in it. We arrived safely -- Teri strapped Rudy on (those cloth baby carriers -- I call it a papoose, but I really don't think that is what it is called!), grabbed her diaper bag / purse and her suitcase and headed for the door. I listened to the news as I left her -- an hour wait in security! Imagine my surprise when she called me about 20 minutes later to inform me she was at her gate already!! Huh??? It seems that one of the airport personnel spotted her coming in with her little guy and stuff and promptly said, "Come with me!" He took her down the wheelchair aisle and had her through security in a matter of minutes. She was only going to T2 gate (which for anyone who hasn't traveled through the Atlanta airport doesn't mean a thing -- if you have, you know right where it is!) She was able to get breakfast and change a baby and board her plane (first class on the way home) ... and she was home before we were two hours down the road. We drove through rain until about 40 miles south of Macon.

Okay, so now that I have completely bored anyone reading this and quite frankly, almost myself, I'll begin to wind down. The traffic wasn't too bad today! Thank goodness! No cops with radar guns aimed at my oncoming vehicle. A couple fender benders along the way but nothing to write home about. I was truly thankful for the prayers for our safe travel!!

It was nice to drive into the sunshine -- we actually started out in very cold weather (40's) and ended up in 83+ degree weather! Go figure! I began to wish I had just a little bit of the cooler weather. But, you can't have it both ways and I definitely prefer this nice warm weather to cold, bone chilling weather!!

So, there you have the rest of the story -- what was the beginning of the story? I have no clue since my mind is still in a fog from driving with such crazies on the road today! (No, not in the car .. along the road!)

Tomorrow I head for Disney!! Wahoo!! To spend the evening tomorrow night with two daughters and two grandsons (and a son-in-law) at Disney's "Very Merry Christmas Party"!! We'll stay at one of the hotels there on the Disney grounds -- if you are a Florida resident, you get all kinds of perks that out-of-stater's can't take advantage of!

So ... I'll write more in a couple days!! Think I'll call it a night -- or a day -- or whatever! At least, we are home safe! Oh, did I tell you that Shonna and RJ went with me, too? Teri and Rudy flew in to Atlanta to meet us. (I think I told the end of the story before the beginning!)

One funny story -- Teri was nursing Rudy and had put a blanket lightly over him so that she was modest. But, RJ was quite intrigued ... "Aunt Teri, do you have bottles in those?" I'm not sure just how she answered that one!!

No comments: