Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Gotta love ya, Allen!!

Okay, so I was going through old photos -- primarily ones that my mother had collected -- and we found one that was a 'keeper'!! Lots of years ago -- probably before kids! (I figured since Mary Ellen could share the photos about William, I'd share this photo of Allen! If you don't hear from me for a couple days, you'll know I got shot down for posting this!)

Actually, my brother-in-law, Allen, is a great guy. He and Bob shared the title of FIL with my mother (Favorite In-Law) .. depending on who was in her good graces at the moment. No, that's not true -- she loved them both and it was an ongoing joke between the three of them!

Rachel has 'liked' Allen since she was about 12 years old -- didn't she say you were throwing rocks at her, Allen? Well, maybe pebbles -- I don't remember the details but it was a long time ago anyway! After twenty-four years of marriage and six children later, he has developed his gray hair! (Actually, I think he dyes it gray just to get us to feel sorry for him. Not really!)

If you are around him for very long, you will laugh .. sometimes because he is laughing at some joke he told you and he found funnier than you did! LOL! Or just because, he is funny! Of course, I get amused and a little deaf when Rachel asks him to call the kids for dinner. He may be standing right next to her in the kitchen and the deafening 'call' ... "KIDS, come to dinner" may leave your ears ringing -- but they definitely heard him!!

Actually, all kidding aside ... I want to say 'thank you' to him for being a great husband and father. And pastor, as well. Also .. he has been a great son-in-law and for that, we are all grateful. My dad lives not too far from them and Rachel spends a lot of time taking care of things my dad needs. Not every husband would take kindly to that and I'm sure there are many times when Allen might think, "This is enough already!" But, he doesn't voice that and if my dad calls for him to come pray with him, he's right there.

He's a good pastor and preacher ... drop in at Spiceland Nazarene Church some time (just south of New Castle, IN) -- you would find a ready welcome, a big smile and the humor that extends ... well ....

I'll finish with this story ... a true one, too! Larry States called Allen to tell him that his sister, Jeannie and her husband, Clint, were going to be visiting church one Sunday morning. Allen had never met them before but Larry, being the prankster that he is, asked Allen to have some fun with them. So, he did ... He announced to his church that they had a 'homeless family' attending church that morning! In spite of that, they have established a great friendship -- after the gasp from Jeannie and Clint! In retrospect, Jeannie said she wished she would have thought quickly enough to get up from her seat and walk out .. she didn't and they have visited Spiceland Nazarene since then!!

Not sure why I posted this today-- except that I found this great photo and just had to share it!! Allen ... are we still friends? Or family? (By the way, he's the only one I can IM and both of us can type fast enough as if we were talking.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMGoodness... once again, i'm a victim of a drive by blogging! WOW... this was really random!?!? WHY was i on your mind today? WHY am i the latest victim of this whacked out blogger? WHY did i EVER think those glasses were cool? WHY is my self respect destroyed? WHY will i no longer attend Boynton Family Get togethers? WHY? Cuz i happened to marry into a family of bloggers. LINDA, you are the JOHN BUNYAN of bloggers! hehehe! LINDA, you are the WL King of bloggers! hehehe!
tongue firmly planted in cheek
~allen

PS - Juliana summed it all up as she walked by my laptop, saw my picture, and in that shrill, annoying voice, loudly exclaimed, "O MY GOODNESS, MY DAD'S PICTURE IS ON THE INTERNET!!! THAT LOOKS HORRIBLE!" Now HER life is over, too! We can't go out anywhere!
hehehe

Sandi H said...

Allen has never looked better - except for well - any other time than that! I can say that because unfortunately I have pictures of me wearing almost the exact same style of glasses! What were we thinking?!