Monday, January 7, 2008

They're never very far away ... and I am blessed!

Our girls are grown -- at least, I think they are! However, I usually talk to them often and for that, I am blessed! I know of other moms who don't hear from their children often or perhaps even have a strained relationship.

Yesterday, I got a call from Teri ... "Mom ... I just called to say I'm glad you're my mom. That's all -- love you, I'll talk to you later!" A very short call but a treasure. The calls have to be short since she's a mom of four and sometimes drives herself crazy trying to keep up with all of their lives!

Sandi usually calls most often -- she helps me in many ways to keep organized and on track. The other girls swear that we are attached at the hip and while we may be together often, she is definitely more attached to her husband than to me -- and for that I am grateful. Not because I don't cherish our relationship but because that is the way it should be. All four of the girls would confirm that in their own relationships, I am sure.

Roxanne and I are probably the most alike in a many areas - and I know that is interesting since she is adopted. (However, we don't consider the 'adopted' issue -- she is our daughter in every way that matters!) I just find it interesting that while we may not be connected by blood, we seem to be connected in other areas. I enjoy her laughter - we can also butt heads the most.

Shonna is the youngest -- I do not call her my 'baby' even though she is. She's much more like her dad than she is like me. She's more willing to take risks than I am -- I'm more tentative and a little uncertain at times. Although she swears that I know a person's life history before I get through a grocery line.

Each one is so different - yet so unique and again, for that -- I feel so blessed. I love to sit back and watch God at work in each of their lives, developing their various gifts as they strive to honor Him in what they do. I get amused when people say, "Wow, she must have gotten that from you ..." when applauding something one of the girls has done. Usually my response is, "No ... God gave her that gift and I have just enjoyed watching her develop it!"

When we all get together, laughter is the name of the game. It would take too much space to describe some of the hysterical moments in our lives but there have been many!! Our Sunday dinners usually end up being a 'remember when' time -- and sometimes, I didn't even know what happened way back when -- but I do now!! (I guess they figure by now, I surely won't punish them for whatever misdeed they did ... especially since they are all over 30 years old!)

I mentioned they are never very far ....
  • Roxanne and her family live in our home right now (transitional time)
  • Sandi, her husband and son live about 1-1/2 miles from our home
  • Shonna is about ten minutes away, and
  • Teri is the farthest -- about 1-1/2 hours away (Winter Haven, FL)
While I have many friends, I believe I can say that my very best friends are my four girls and my sister, Rachel. We just have fun when we are together -- not that we don't have difficult times and believe me, we have had our share especially over the past couple years. But, when I am with girls, I have a deep sense of security, of trust, of loyalty ... we're family and it's what we do!!

So ... I am blessed ... through the sharing and keeping me on target, through the laughter -- like Roxanne's husband, Chris, walking in the door this evening to greet me with -- "Lucy, I'm home!!" Through tears during tough times when we aren't quite sure of God's plan (yet trusting His hand!) ... all the while knowing that no matter what we face in life, we are a team -- we are a family -- and we are so deeply blessed!!

What more can I possibly ask???

3 comments:

Sandi H said...

Mom,
How true - we have a very special family and you are the glue that holds us all together!
Can't wait for our "Girl's Weeekend"!
Sandi

Unknown said...

You do have it all! It's great to see you treasure your daughters and they treasure you too.

Vonnie said...

I am so loving the relationship my girls' and I are developing. I can't wait to see how we are in a couple of years when they are older. I love the relationship my mom and sister and I have. It is such a deep bond. There can be nothing similar. As the girls get older, I see it coming for us as well!!