Monday, January 7, 2008

Honoring a special lady ...

Yesterday, Sandi and I attended the memorial service for a dear lady in our church, Bernie Richardson. Bernie was one of the sweetest ladies and dearest friends we have known across the years. I remember when we moved to St Pete ... We were actually commuting back and forth between our home in Auburndale and the parsonage in St Pete (on the weekends.) Teri was staying in the parsonage during the week and almost daily, Bernie would check in on her. After we settled in permanently, Bernie continued that tradition and has seemed like part of our family since then.

Bernie and her husband, Jim, did not have any children but poured their lives into other people's children. They headed up the nursery at Cornerstone for many years and as Elaine Dressback described it so well, "I felt like I was handing my babies to Jesus."

Jim passed away back in 1999 and part of Bernie went on to heaven with him. She was lonely but had an awesome church family. Bernie didn't drive but someone always was making sure that she was at church or the various functions she wished to attend. She was very involved in the church prayer chain ministry -- I've received many calls with Bernie sharing the latest prayer request and making sure we were all okay, too.

Several shared during the memorial service yesterday including our daughter, Sandi. I thought she did an awesome job as she shared how Bernie did not let the generational gap deter her! She loved all ages and wanted to be involved in anything she could -- Sandi shared how Bernie had given her an envelope with $5 in it for the Block Party. It was all she could give -- I loved how Sandi shared -- Bernie used a walker for quite a while -- she was quite short -- I usually had to lean way down to hear her. (And Bob did especially -- she loved Bob dearly!!!) Her voice wasn't real strong so if you walked by her and she wanted you, she'd grab your arm. As Sandi said, "She was STRONG!" (LOL!) She grabbed her the day of the Block Party and handed Sandi the envelope!!

Some shared yesterday how Bernie shared "truth" -- even to the pastors but always in a kind way. She had an expression on her face that let you know that she loved you no matter what she might be telling you. I didn't remember until on the way home just what that meant to us.

Teri has shared her testimony here at Cornerstone so I feel I can share this. Teri became pregnant with her first child about six months after we came to Cornerstone. She was not married. (She did marry Jeff and now has four children.) I remember the day that Bernie came to me and said, "I told Teri that I don't agree with what happened -- but I wanted her to know that I love her no matter what!!" That had a profound effect on Teri because Bernie lived that out in her life!

We will miss Bernie -- I will miss her pulling me down to whisper in my ear, "How's Bob?" Or, "Please tell him how I am doing ... I know he would want to know!" I remember the day that she went outside her condo, lost her footing and fell in a bush. She laughed after I asked her how she was doing. She assured me she was okay but that there was a dent in the bush!! LOL!!

I got to talk to her the last Sunday before she passed away. She was having trouble breathing but she wanted to be at church! I just reread the last part of a letter she had written to Bob ... "That's enough of my aches and pains -- I am not afraid -- I am ready to go and I am in His hands!"

We are blessed by knowing Bernie ... she will not be forgotten!!

No comments: