Friday, July 25, 2008

Celebrating an anniversary!! 25th!

I am in Indianapolis right now -- I didn't realize that I hadn't posted since Monday!! But, it's been a busy week as I flew to Indy and then drove on up to Chicago with two of my brothers and a niece to celebrate Rachel and Allen's 25th anniversary. The anniverary was actually on June 18th and Jene' (their oldest who turned 21 on Wednesday) had put together a reception at their church the Sunday following that date.

What Rachel and Allen didn't know was that we had planned (Jene' and I had talked through -- but she did an awesome job putting everything together and carrying it all out!!) a 25th anniversary celebration for them. They had expressed a desire to renew their vows on a beach but since Florida is a rather long way to go and with gas prices, prohibitive at this point, we thought, "Why not Lake Michigan?" And they also really wanted to go on a cruise and may get that done this fall (perhaps), but a dinner cruise seemed in order. They also just wanted a small intimate group so we only had 20!

The job was keeping it quiet -- but, believe it or not, all six kids kept their lips zipped the entire time -- all the way up to arriving at the Navy Pier and parking the car. It was at that time that I got a text from Rachel saying that she had an idea that something was going on and that "Joel and you better be here somewhere!" We were as was Thad -- Mark and Tim's schedule wouldn't allow them to attend but they were here in spirit!

The cruise was awesome, the food was scruptuous, the entertainment was great -- they had a band on the dinner cruise which played Rachel and Allen's favorite song, "Have I told you lately that I love you?" (No, they didn't dance ...) We went from the cruise over to a part right next to the pier where rose petals had been spread out, a guitar was playing and Joel gave Rachel to Allen once again. They repeated vows and then Shara read a letter I had written to them. I'll include it at the end.

We gave them time to share to each other and while there were tears, they were in celebration of 25 years of love, laughter, difficulties and commitment.

Backing up a little (which I seem to do quite well!), it was quite a feat for us to get to the florists (my job) and then to the pier. You cannot 'get there from here' even though it was right next to you. Fortunately, Thad became the navigator, Joel drove and Jacinta and I just laughed at them -- or they laughed at me -- or whatever!

Just a heads up -- if you ever go to the Navy Pier, parking is $19 no matter how long you stay. I'm glad we were staying several hours so we could get our money's worth -- sort of anyway!!

After the renewal of vows, Jene' delivered Rachel and Allen to a hotel provided by family members and she took the kids to another hotel. She's not old enough to want to be in the same hotel! (lol)

I think it was an awesome day for the whole family - we made it home in just over 12 hours from when we left -- and we covered 400 miles in that time, too! Wow!

And now the letter I wrote which Shara read to them yesterday ...

It has been almost 40 years since you were my miniature bride, carrying a bouquet of orchids down the aisle. I know you have heard the “got my dollar” story more times than you have wanted to, I’m sure. Then, twenty five years ago, I stood beside you as you got ready to go down the aisle – this time you were the bride. I remember how well you had done in making all the preparations and the awesome rehearsal dinner. Then, at the last minute, you became overwhelmed and the tears began to flow. I did the only thing I knew to do – I went and got Dad! After all, he could fix anything! It was my time to go down the aisle and I just told him he needed to do something!!!

Now, twenty five years later and here we stand together once again! It is impossible to share all the memories – from the first crush you had on Allen (including some story about throwing stones) to the Hawaiian cruise we took together to celebrate our anniversaries – our 35th and your 20th. I’ve been able to be with you after the births of a couple of your children and am honored when I hear their excitement that I am going to visit. (Maybe that’s just because they know they can beat me soundly playing video games.)


Your life has not always been easy. From traveling in the evangelistic field for many years through the years of pastoring, you’ve poured your lives into ministry. I am sure there are times when the difficulties have taken their toll on your relationship and you wondered if you had it to do all over again, would you?

Because of those very things and the fact that you complement each other so much, I think the answer is a given. Yes! Yes, you are completely difference personalities and that is probably an understatement. But, God saw this, too, and said, “It is good!”

Your differences balance each other (well, for the most part.. lol!) and as you continue to grow in love, those differences may well become less – until you truly become one. Well, then again, it has been said that if two people agree on everything, one of them isn’t necessary! I don’t think that will ever happen to you two.

Your children knew that your desire was to renew your vows on your 25th wedding anniversary – on a beach. Florida was a little too far away. They also knew you loved a cruise. Jene’ began to put together a plan. What better way to celebrate than to incorporate both of those into one – so here we are today. Celebrating in an unbelievable way but hopefully fulfilling your dream for your 25th anniversary celebration.

Happy Anniversary!

And lest I forget, Happy Birthday to both Jene' (21st on July 23) and Shara (18 today!).

1 comment:

Bette said...

Happy Anniversary, Allen & Rachel. I remember so clearly the "got my dollar" event with that cute little miniature bride - amazing - now she has been married herself 25 years. You got a good one Allen. Have a wonderful year ahead, you two....bette