Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"We're finally home!"


One of the highlights of my trip home yesterday actually came at the end of the trip, after we had landed. I had seen a group of about 25 guys in their early to mid 20's. They were obviously having a good time and I thought, "This will not be a quiet trip." I was seated near them -- actually, they were seated all around the back half of the airplane. When we arrived and were waiting to get off the plane, I heard them commenting to each other about knocking on each other's door, etc. I asked if they were on vacation (I know -- I know no strangers!) They told me, "No", that they were coming home. Then one of the guys said, "We've been on patrol for the last two months. We are just now coming home." They are in the Coast Guard stationed here in St. Pete (pier) and had been patrolling around Cuba and surrounding areas. They would have a week off now. One guy commented to me, "We are having fun here but we take what we do very seriously."

I think the real impact came when I was following a couple of the guys up the jetway and I heard them yell, "We're home! We're finally home!!" (see photo at left)

What an awesome way to end my trip!!

No comments: