Monday, December 8, 2008

Life's Most Embarrassing Moments ... another one!

Last evening was one of those times when you could classify something as very embarrassing -- but I'm not sure if it was more embarrassing for me or the other person.I was attending Carols, Candlelight and Communion at Clearwater First Church of the Nazarene. They had it in their Fireside Room and the place filled up quickly.

I sat at the end of a row of seats since I had my cane and didn't want to stumble over myself since I already do that quite handily. A couple (who I later found out are long-time Nazarenes) wanted to sit in the same row and asked if they could come by me. I told them, of course. I decided that the best thing to do with my cane was to pull it back towards me and out of the 'traffic area' in front of my seat. The wife got by just fine but the husband had not seen my cane there. As you can see in the photo, it has one of those sort of foam grip handles so when he passed, it sort of grabbed the back of his pants. (I know, you get the picture and it's not pretty!)

I didn't even realize what had really happened until he got beyond me. He looked at me sort of strangely -- like he couldn't believe what I may have done, then noticed the cane and mumbled, "Oh, I didn't see your cane." I guess he thought I had been a little too personal but I assured him that there was no harm done other than some embarrassment. I started to say that I undersood how he could have misunderstood and that got to sounding worse so I just stopped while I was ahead. I have no idea who was more embarrassed but it just struck me funny! Oh, well ...

No comments: