Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Playground? They call it "Recess"

I picked RJ up at school today (well, he got into the car). He didn't know it was going to be me picking him up so I was rather tickled when he saw me from afar and came running, yelling, "Nana!!!" Okay, so I was rather proud he was so pleased to see me!

I asked him how his day was and if he was hungry. He told me his day was good and then said, "We had 'playground' today. But they call it Recess! All in the terminology -- I grew up with "Recess". It was interesting that I had listened to a radio talk show this week where they discussed the lack of "Recesses" in the schools and non-activity in kids' lives and how it has an impact on their health -- physical and emotional. So I was rather intrigued when he told me that they had "Recess" although he preferred to call it "Playground".

After he shared that, he informed me that he would like to go to McDonalds but his request was a little interesting -- a plain cheeseburger, apple dippers and chocolate milk. A Happy Meal but not the typical one with french fries and a coke! Apple dippers and chocolate milk!! The gal working the window at McDonalds seemed to know exactly what I needed so RJ was quite pleased when we got back to our house. He was even more pleased when he saw they had given him two toys rather than just one!!

I find it intriguing that while babies will respond to us (adults), they seem to really respond to other children. Ava was wide awake so sat on my lap for a little while as RJ talked to her. She tried to talk back to him -- but mostly smiled at him!

The photos are from the area where I picked up the kids at Keswick. The classes have their own 'parking places' .. yes, the classes actually stay within the lines of a parking place! All at once I heard a voice on the loud speaker that said, "RJ Keeling, go to #5!" I was the fifth car in line -- it didn't take him long to recognize me and that's when he came running! The gal who was monitoring the area said, "He obviously knows you!" No question that a stranger was picking him up!!!
Just gotta love those grandkids!!

No comments: