Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Happy Father's Day, Bob!


Hon,

While I know Father’s Day is a time to honor your own father, I also always want to honor you as the father of our children. The relationship you have with each one is unique and for that, I am so grateful. I am also grateful that you allowed them to make choices – I know the one that sticks out in Sandi’s mind is when you told her she needed to make a choice between two options – neither one was a bad choice, but she would have to live with the consequences of either one.

I want to take time to thank you for your godly influence on our girls’ lives. During this time, it shows what influence you have had because of their unwavering commitment and devotion to you. While they didn’t always like the decisions you may have made for them, they never doubted that it was out of a deep love for them that you made those very decisions.

Your consistency in serving God and in your lifestyle has probably been one of the greatest influences on them. They don’t worry like so many do how you will react. Oh, they know there are times when you will raise an eyebrow or express disappointment, but they still know the consistency of your love and support.

So, on this Father’s Day, I thank you for …

· Putting up with my ups and downs during pregnancy and motherhood! If you hadn’t had the patience you do, who knows where we would be.
· Taking the girls to the doctor when I was scared to do so – like when Teri stuck her finger in the back massager and Sandi had the bicycle accident. Your strength in those times made special memories along with giving me a special sense of comfort.
· For taking us all over the country on vacations. I knew that those times will be treasured for a lifetime. The memories we made – ones we would laugh at and some we would shake our heads at and wonder, “What were we thinking?”
· For wanting to be right beside me when our girls were born … even though I wasn’t sure I liked it when you informed me of the progress you would see from the monitor and I was ahead of that about 15 seconds! But, you had the right motive and that was to let me know I was … making progress!!
· For being there when we wondered whether Shonna would live … I was an emotional basket case but you were strong and I needed that more than I probably realized.
· For spending time while the girls were growing up teaching them God’s Word – for the stories from Character Sketches and being patient to answer questions they might have.
· For helping with homework although the girls did well in keeping up with that themselves. We were blessed in that area!
· For doing the tough stuff … like making Teri sign an agreement after making some bad choices in her life and yet, being willing to love her no matter what.
· For helping the girls out financially when I know you felt like it was probably an unwise decision – and yet, knowing when to say “no” even though I still had a soft heart!
· For letting the girls know that no matter who needed your attention, we were the most important people in your life and that when everything seemed to be going wrong, we were a family!
· For living out your spiritual message – before you ever shared it with others and knowing that your daughters would confirm what you shared – a great testimony!
· For loving your grandchildren more than any grandfather I know. And while going through this circumstance, being right there with notes of encouragement along the way .. even though I know it is so difficult to be away from them.
· For teaching the girls the greatest principles in life! What a joy it is to watch them live out those principles daily … do they make mistakes? Of course, yet I am convinced that they have a firm basis and for that, I give you lots of credit! It’s back to the consistency in life … knowing that no matter what happened, you wouldn’t change – and while I’m not going to do as Elaine did and compare you to God the way she did (ha!), I do want to say that I believe your consistency is an outflow of a godly life and for that, I am doubly grateful.

Thank you for being consistent when I was on a roller coaster of emotions ... it was that constant, unwavering -- yes, even unemotional responses -- steadiness which kept me grounded.

I watch the girls in ministry and I am blessed again and again. I see your wisdom flowing out of them .. I know they are a mix of us both and perhaps that makes them a complete person! Well, at least, they are working on it!

So, I am very blessed to have you not just as my husband but as our children’s father. I couldn’t think of anyone I would ever want more! And I know that I was a little hard on you (probably a lot hard) after we were married comparing you to my dad. I couldn't understand your differences but now I appreciate them ... your strengths are in different areas.

I love you much and look forward to many more years together … the best is yet to come .. I’m convinced of that!

Happy Father’s Day!!

All my love,
Lin

No comments: