Thursday, November 8, 2007

I have a challenge!!

I have a challenge for you who are married … you may think I am a little crazy and for those of you who know us well, that could definitely be a possibility. As opposite as Bob and I are from each other, life has had its challenges and benefits!

We have spent a lot of time together over the years – working together in business and in ministry. We have spent countless hours traveling together – and other than typical issues that face most married couples, those times have been times we have cherished. (Although Bob would tell you that it is a challenge for me to be riding in a car with him – he sleeps while I drive; I nag while he drives. I have admitted it – I feel better now!)

However, usually we have been plagued by cell phones and emails. We never quite felt like we were cut off from the world – there was always that connection with everyone and we always felt compelled to answer any phone that rang. And we were busy – oh, so busy!

Jump forward to now … when I visit Bob on weekends, there is one constant – no cell phones and no computers. No interruptions other than guys wanting to share what Bob means to them or introducing family members to us. Other than that, we are “alone” to ourselves – no interruptions by phone calls – no connection with the outside world – for about 6-1/2 hours.

We have always enjoyed being together over the years -- for the most part. (I’m being honest and most of you would have to admit that as well!) We’ve had similar interests along with our children and grandchildren being at the top of our conversation list. But, when you are together for over six hours with no interruptions or distractions, you find that you really haven’t spent as much time talking over the years as you thought. Fifteen minutes here and there – maybe a few hours at a time.

I thoroughly enjoy these 6-1/2 hours – and we do that two days in a row – this weekend, it will be three days in a row since it is a holiday weekend. So, we will have almost 20 hours together!! Uninterrupted!! I will be taking a puzzle for sure. As much as we enjoy talking, after a while, we find that we are talked out for a little bit. I can hear people saying, “No way. I wouldn’t run out of something to say!” Okay, I challenge you to try it – turn off cell phones and let everyone know you are unavailable for six hours. No computer – no connection with the outside world. Now, sit yourself across from your spouse and spend the next 6+ hours talking. It is wonderful and the first couple hours are filled with conversation. And yet, there are times of simple quietness when the atmosphere of being together is enough. It’s amazing how simply putting a puzzle together without much conversation is exhilarating – okay, I know, that sounds a little odd. But, I’m not a very good puzzle person, so someone near might hear an “I found one!” until I cover my mouth and hope nobody around thinks I’m crazy! Bob just smiles and says, “Yes, you did!” as he continues to methodically put the puzzle together – what more would you expect?

And that’s why I was blessed when he told me this week the simple statement, “You complete me.” And it’s not just about putting a puzzle together – but about our life together!

So, on Saturday morning, you will find me sitting at ‘our table’, waiting on Bob to arrive with his smile and tight embrace and I know that we will talk about things that are truly important more than ever before – because now we know the value of words and of time together.

I would love to know if anyone would take this challenge .. I think you will be surprised by realizing that perhaps you haven’t talked for any length of time … You will be blessed – hopefully!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how different it is. When we went to see Dad in July - Tim said as we were leaving, "I think that is the most I have ever heard your Dad talk at one time!". He had talked for 2 hours straight. Really talk - and that was so cool. It's not that we didn't talk before - but you are right - it is very different! We treasure our times with him and realize how much more "substance" there is in our conversations - and it is inspiring to want to do that with each other too!

Anonymous said...

Dear Linda,
I don't know any of the circumstances behind this story but I feel a deep appreciation for what you and Bob must be enduring. God is with you and will surely see you through. John 10:10 says the thief comes to kill, steal and destroy ~ but I (Jesus) have to come to give life and life more abundantly. In Joel 2:25 the Lord assures us that HE will restore what the canker worm has eaten/destroyed. My heart is with you.
With love,
Noni