Monday, April 28, 2008

Mother's Day is just around the corner ...

It has been a year and a half since my mother went on to her heavenly home. At times, it seems like just yesterday and other times when it seems like forever.

This week, I have passed the Mother's Day cards on several occasions and my instinct has been to go find a card for my mom. I was never one to get cards delivered early -- the best of intentions but usually was a little behind. So, there's been a nagging thought, "I need to get a Mother's Day card!"


So, rather than buying a Mother's Day card, I thought I would post a short blog now (and a longer one closer to Mother's Day) including photos from my growing up days. I am the oldest of six which was a special place but also held special responsibility that continues to this day.


While I never attended Olivet Nazarene College (or University as it is now), I was there! I was born while my dad was attending ONC.


I wasn't too thrilled to have a baby brother added to the mix. However, today I am quite thrilled with him since he allows me to stay in his home when I'm in Atlanta. But, that's not the only reason I love him.

Jumping way ahead, I loved my brothers but had hoped that sometime we might add another girl to our family.
So, along came Rachel -- we waited FOREVER for a girl to join our family. I was almost 15 when she arrived and my life has never been the same. I am truly blessed!


How well I remember when I graduated from high school. A huge graduating class of "1" .. Yup, I was valedictorian and all around flunky -- all wrapped into one!!

My mother was a lady of all kinds of talents -- from being an accomplished pianist to a talented seamstress. She excelled in secretarial skills. She loved us all -- and never, ever showed favoritism. Most of all, she prayed for all of us! I remember hearing at the funeral that the thing the grandchildren would miss most would be the ability to call Grandma Boynton and know that she would be praying for whatever request and concern was on their minds that day.
We are truly blessed to have had the influence of a godly mother! And what a legacy she has left for us!

So, Mother -- we miss you more than you know. But, we also know that it won't be that long until we meet you in heaven. And I know that you will be waiting, and will welcome us with, "I thought I heard you coming!"
An early Happy Mother's Day!!









1 comment:

Sandi H said...

Mom,
What a beautiful tribute! And what a great heritage we have - a "great" grandma and mom!
Sandi