Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My mother, my friend!




As Mother's Day nears, my mind continues to go back over the years -- after my mother's passing, Rachel and I went through photo albums and scanned in photo after photo. It's amazing what memories these brought back -- some of the photos actually didn't have anything to do with us directly -- but, indirectly, definitely!!



Piano ... piano lessons!! Practice ... lots of it! And obviously, my mother had practiced a lot! A whole lot as she had the privilege of providing accompaniment at Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois. We found this program among the photos ...

I also found two newspaper articles and I realize they are difficult to read -- however, one reported that my mother was the first female manager of the Rock Island High School Band. I was impressed!!

And, also, she was also a spelling champion! Like we wouldn't know that. I'm not sure that any one of us have problems with spelling. With a dad who majored in English and a mother who was a spelling champion, we were destined to be somewhat aware of rules of grammar. Do I always adhere to those rules? No, not always by any stretch. (Like ending a sentence with preposition! I seem to do that quite frequently!!)

My mother played down some of her accomplishments and I wish I would have pressed her more to share. I don't think she wanted to appear proud. But, what talents she had that were recognized!!
So, once again, I honor my mother ... because she has instilled many of her talents in her grandchildren! And they are reminders every day of a very special lady!





No comments: