Monday, May 12, 2008

Are you ready for us?

That was the question my sister asked me a couple days ago. Her family will be arriving in a few minutes from Indianapolis. They will back up onto my yard, they will pile out of their Suburban (which, as Rachel has shared, is not packed as much as usual) and I will stand at attention to direct them to their rooms. (Think I should put my hand out for a tip? Just kidding!) Actually, we have a lot of fun even though our house turns into Grand Central Station. Anyone who knows Rachel's husband, Allen Southerland, knows that life is never quiet when he is around!



Rachel is 15 years younger than I am .. so her children are almost like my grandchildren. And with my mother going on to heaven, that has deepened an already solid relationship. (Even though they beat me at video games!!!)

Jene' is almost 21! (A little older than my oldest grandchild!) She's in her third year in college pursuing a degree in nursing. (She attends Olivet Nazarene University). Shara, almost 18, will begin her first year at Olivet. I will be flying up to Indy later this month to attend her graduation. Then there's Jimmy, who undoubtedly is growing an inch a week right now! He's 13 and an all-around good kid. (Like the other's aren't? They're all great kids) Shaley is 11, Juliana is 10 and Seth Mark is 8. Rachel refers to them as "The Littles" sometimes although they are three completely different personalities. Just ask them -- you'll find out in a hurry!

So, we'll have a great time. They'll be at the beach a lot so I'm not sure how much I will see them during the daytime. (I'll probably join them for some time at the beach but I have learned to be a smart Floridian and only spend a couple hours at the beach at a time.) Allen did learn the hard way last year and told me that he has "35" sunblock this year! Maybe he is learning!

As you can tell, they haven't arrived quite yet or I wouldn't still be typing. I'm sure I will hear the rumble of their vehicle shortly ... and know that life will never be quite the same -- and I'm glad! We'll have lots of fun and I'll probably have lots of funny pictures.

No comments: