Monday, May 5, 2008

Honoring Mothers!

... who are also daughters!

Each year, we often turn our thoughts to our mothers. And I do, too ... and wish that mine was nearby so that I could honor her once again for so many things. However, she has gone on to heaven -- yet somehow, I believe she is nearby in spirit.

Bob and I talked yesterday about our daughters and their roles as moms. Each one has proven to be an awesome mother (am I prejudiced?) and I want to honor them today!

Roxanne is our oldest and while she is does not like to think about her age, she is 37 years old. She is young at heart and I always appreciate the humor she brings into our lives. She can see something funny in a somewhat serious situation and dissolve all of us into hysterics in just a few moments. She is the most like me probably -- which is why we butt heads quite often. She is mom to 17 year old Kasi and 9 year old Kamen. She has faced some unusual challenges as a mom over the past few months but has handled them with grace. Raising teenagers is never an easy job -- we had four of them at the same time!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sandi is next and just 10-1/2 months younger than Roxanne. (Wow, had 'em close, huh?) No, we adopted Roxanne and by the time she was 6 weeks old, I was pregnant with Sandi. Go figure! They are true soul mates! Tyler didn't come along until Sandi and Tim had been married 10 years so Sandi was a very doting aunt -- just ask Roxanne. She was right there ... even when there was a parent/teacher meeting at school. Sandi was a willing and avid advocate for Kasi! When she was pregnant with Tyler, Kamen would sit beside her and put both of his hands on her stomach. He wasn't quite 2 years old. He would sit for up to 20-30 minutes with his hands both placed so that he could feel any movement that Tyler might make. And Tyler and Kamen are like brothers -- they love and they fight like brothers!! When Tyler was in the first weeks of kindergarden, he was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. (It is the mildest form of Autism and those who have this are often called 'little professors'! So true!) Needless to say, it stunned them but they rallied and threw themselves into an intense study of this syndrome and have become very knowledgable in this field.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Teri is a mom of four at 34 years old -- and juggles school schedules and bottles all at the same time. Mom to three daughters, Marley, 12; Regan, 10; Bailey, 9; and one son, Rudy -- who just turned 1 on Saturday! When I babysit for her, it becomes a challenge to follow her schedule and I wonder how I did it all those years ago. I look at Regan and see a miniature Teri and I think, "Look out, world!" Rudy has brought a whole new dimension into their lives! They had adjusted their lives to having three daughters, dance classes and recitals, gymnastics and volleyball games. And along came Rudy who already is 'all boy'. That was an adjustment for Teri ... now each of the girls has one boy!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Shonna may be the youngest but we do not call her the baby (she is almost 32). She is probably the most in disposition like Bob but has some of my emotions. A dangerous combination! (lol!) She is the mom to one little guy, RJ (Robert Joseph) who was five years old in March. I think RJ (and Ron and Shonna, also) would like for him to have a brother or sister but so far that has not happened. They recently added a golden lab to their family ... not necessarily an easy addition for Shonna since it is still a 'pup' but RJ fell in love with his dog and isn't anxious to give him up! "You promised, Mom!" RJ recently had corrective surgery and it was tough on Mom (and Dad). But, they all came through it well and RJ is back to his active self!

I have watched each of the girls with their children and feel so blessed -- I've seen many mothers who feel that they have to become involved in the disciplining and raising of their grandchildren and while I don't feel limited by the girls, I just have not felt the necessity. (Well -- maybe on occasion if the parents were not around and I was responsible for them ... Regan, are you reading this?) They are working diligently to establish Christian homes and influences in their lives.

So, on this Mother's Day -- Happy Mother's day to my daughters ... who have blessed my life more they can possibly imagine!

No comments: