Thursday, May 29, 2008

"Looking for skewers in all the wrong places ..."

Okay, I'm not a very good song writer .... but yesterday was quite comical as I tried to find bamboo skewers in the local Kroger's. Sandi had bought them at the Kroger's here in the Beech Grove area (maybe I should say 'there' since I am now in the New Castle, IN area!) Anyway, she told me where she had found them before and was fairly certain that they would be there this time.

So, with her instructions buzzing around in my head -- "go into the store, behind the cash registers, to the left" -- I tried to find those silly things as I looked up and down the aisles and then called Sandi again. "Now where are they?" Where she said, they weren't .. and I couldn't seem to locate them anywhere!! So, I decided to do the easy thing and ask a manager type lady. (At least, it seemed she was.) She said, "Well, I just saw them. I think they are over here." So, I followed her to the picnic area. Nope, we couldn't find them anywhere. She said, "Well, we are doing a remodel, let me call 'Richard'." I assumed he was a main manager. After a little while, she came back. "He says they are here somewhere -- do you see them anywhere?" Nope, looked everywhere -- can't find them.

About that time, Richard appears. The lady manager told him, "We can't find them." He came to where we were and pointed to a space where no merchandise was hanging but very nicely carried a sign, "Bamboo skewers". Well, guess they don't have any.

She said, "No, we're not done yet. I know there are some here somewhere. I've seen them. I just can't remember where." We went to the next aisle and asked a stocking employee if she had seen them. Well, she thought she had and maybe they were on aisle 4. So, off we went again. No skewers -- now there are three of us! Me, manager lady and stocking person. (That sounds like she is wearing hose on her head or something!) But, then the stocking person thought they might be one other place -- but all she found was a bamboo tray. Don't think that will work for dipping stuff in a chocolate fountain!!

We were about ready to give up when we found yet another stocking person. "Have you seen bamboo skewers?" "Welllll ... no, but here are some metal ones." Nope, not what I need. I started to say that I would check another Kroger's when the first stocking person say, "I found some." At the end of the next row, she had found one package of 50. Well, that was a start.

Second stocking person was working up on a small ladder and said, "Hey, I found these -- there are 100 in this package .. is this what you want?" A big sigh of relief as she handed me three packages and I was able to walk out of the store with the proclamation, "Mission Accomplished"!!!

No comments: