Sunday, May 18, 2008

Losing a good friend!!

Tomorrow, I will be driving to Macon, GA to attend the funeral of a good friend. We met Bob and Jean Brown at our first pastorate in New Castle, Indiana. I told her husband this morning that I thought I could write a book about our friendship but I'm not sure that would even capture it. I don't remember exactly how we met other than they visited the church where Bob was serving as pastor. (I'm sure I'll remember it tomorrow!)

At that time, neither Bob nor Jean were Christians. In fact, they were far from it. My Bob used to go to their home on Sunday mornings and as Bob Brown reminded me this morning, "slap me on the face to get me awake" because he had been out drinking all night. Jeannie had not been raised in any type of Christian setting either. Yet, somehow our lives connected and so began a journey that continues to this day.

Bob (Brown) told me this morning, "Who would have thought 30 some years ago that one day my wife would be in heaven and I would be preaching her funeral?" Wow! A story of God's grace that is almost overwhelming.

But, the journey was quite interesting. Jeannie and I were pregnant at the same time and had the same doctor. Their youngest son, Paul, is just two months older than Sandi. We spent a lot of time at their home -- we enjoyed eating there as Jeannie was an awesome cook and loved to do it. She was a chain smoker for many years. Bob struggled with alcohol and smoking.

But, my Bob did not give up on Bob or Jean. Their daughter, BJ (Billie Jean) told my Bob when she was just about 7 years old, "I love to hear you preach because I understand what you are saying." That was about 39 years ago!!

The friendship became solid enough that my Bob could press the issues ... one night when we were visiting their house, Bob (Brown) was drinking his cans of beer. He had a salt shaker nearby so that he could 'salt' his beer. My Bob thought that if a little would help, a whole lot would help even more. (Of course, he knew better.) Needless to say, Bob (Brown) was sick all night long. Yet .. he was not angry because he knew that my Bob cared about him. He smoked also -- one night, my Bob pulled out his cigarettes and dipped each one in a cup of coffee. Imagine in the middle of the night when Bob (Brown) wanted a cigarette and all he tasted was stale coffee!! He reminded me again of that this morning when we talked.

However, God's grace is sufficient!! Bob Brown became a dynamic Christian and began to prepare for the ministry. He was ordained and has pastored for many years and is now serving the Trinity Church of the Nazarene in Macon. In the early years of Bob's ministry, Jeannie was not a Christian. But, she found Christ, also, and became a dedicated Christian serving right beside Bob throughout their ministry. They have been soul mates for years -- however, their manner was usually filled with lots of bantering between them. Someone listening may have thought they didn't love each other, but we knew there was no doubt about that! He tells of the time when they were having some major marital issues (when they were quite young). She told him that she was leaving and headed to their bedroom to pack a suitcase. He was right behind her and pulled out another suitcase. She said, "What are you doing?" He said, "I'm not staying here by myself. I'm coming with you!" Long before they were Christians, she did throw a butcher knife at him and it lodged right in the couch beside him!! But that all changed!!!

So, even though I will be attending a funeral tomorrow, I'm sure that we will be celebrating a life of a lady who knows God's grace in its fullest!! When she was still able to talk, she told her Bob once again, "I love you" ... he asked her if she loved Jesus and her faced glowed. She nodded and echoed, "I love Jesus!" What more could you ask for the final words to be!

We will miss Jeannie ... her coffee pot ready whenever she knew my Bob was arriving, the macaroni salad that she was known for, listening to the constant banter (lovingly given) between her and Bob, the trips to the doctor together, the time they lived with us for six weeks when they moved to Indianapolis after we did, watching her care for her children and then her grandchildren, seeing her struggle physically yet devoting herself to their ministry even when she didn't feel well. Remembering all the times we spent together over the past 39 years -- we were more like family than just friends. She will be missed!! Bob (Brown) is speaking at the service tomorrow. I asked him if he thought he could get through it? I assured him of our prayers but reminded him that if he was emotional through it all, that was just fine! We all would understand ...

No comments: