Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Miss "Loopy" is up and at 'em .. ummm .. well ...

So, here I am in my special place -- in Tim's favorite seat in their big family room. He has been so very gracious about me taking up his place but it is the easiest for me to get in and out of -- or up and down out of -- whatever you want to call it.

I'm sure you know that as a family, humor reigns supreme. I guess if you can have humor, you can handle about anything. This is absolutely no exception. So, when Christopher was helping me get to the bathroom and I wouldn't shut up (actually I was trying to keep from thinking about my bummed up leg), he laughed so hard he almost dropped the towel he was using to keep my leg a little elevated. (I've graduated now -- I don't need the towel .. yeah, hurray!)

If it isn't that, I will sense that someone is standing near as I am in my typical dozing pattern, will open my eyes and there is one of the boys!
On a serious note -- I can't believe how very blessed here -- Susan has been a nurse for eons (she's much younger than I am) and does a phenomenal job always!! Tim, who is not known for being empathetic by nature, has very patiently helped me get some things done that were way out of his comfort zone. I know, TMI!! (Too Much Information for anyone who doesn't know that I didn't spell Tim wrong!)

My brain is working a little better today although I can't guarantee that and only the readers will know for sure. Everyone here is gone for a while and I really need to pick up the phone and call my good friend, Amy Balty -- which I probably will do when I finish here. Susan is coming home early from work -- I'm almost embarrassed to take all of their help but then I get a sermon about accepting help!!

I need Jonathan to describe the first night getting into the house and going up the stairs. Poor guy! I con't think he will ever forget that -- we tried all kinds of things -- regular chairs, rolling chairs, move the ladders in the garage, sit down, nope, gotta stand up a little -- okay, now I'm seated on the floor, I'm comfortable right here but can't stay on the floor in the door to the garage for days. Keelan has gone into some kind of mourning not understanding why I can't play with him. He looks at me with forlorn eyes!

Oh, yes, I managed to get out of the doorway with Michael, Jonathan and Susan's help and settled on the couch. And I've actually been able to manage getting to the bathroom without too much help which is better than my last surgery nine years ago. I won't go into details but it wasn't a pretty picture and I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Shonna and Roxanne -- they laughed then that when I got 'old', the other gals would have to take their turn. Well, am I old yet??

I will be heading home tomorrow and now I want to address my appreciation to my girls -- who are the very best in the world. Okay, I know you have great ones, too .. but, as Shonna mentioned this morning, each one has their strength and when you put them together, they are unbelievable!! So, my St Pete gals (Roxanne, Sandi and Shonna) will be my support system and one that I know I can completely count on. They sort of 'take over' and put me in my place when needed and as Sandi told me, "We'll do whatever we need to do. We will take care of you." And I know from experience that every need I have will be addressed -- whether I think I need it or not!

How much more blessed can I be?
Well ... I am blessed by the many notes I have received already. The emails have poured in and in the midst of all the prayer support, I love the references to humor. I need to keep those together and forward them on for everyone to enjoy!!

Lest I begin to succumb to this lovely pain medication that either puts me to sleep or some type of la-la land that makes the description "loopy" very accurate, I better stop. And as you can see, my protector is close at hand!

No comments: