Thursday, September 25, 2008

Are you addicted?


. . . to Facebook? Wow, it can be addicting especially when you are connecting with old friends!!


Today was one of those days when I took a trip back in time to around 1964-1965 when my dad was an evangelist at Harker's Island, NC. That was a campmeeting that changed my life. That sounds a little dramatic but you need to visit Harker's Island to appreciate that!


I made friends for a lifetime! I was sure that I was in a different country when I listened to the locals talk with a unique accent. I tried to mimic it and fell short. I loved it -- I loved the people -- I loved hearing them talk about fishing and the fact that in just a couple minutes, we could be at the end of the island.

I was just about 14 when we first went ... I found myself intrigued by the teenage guys and my dad is convinced that they were as interested in me as I was in them. I don't think that is necessarily true but he continues to stand by his story.

It's neat to talk to others who lived there over the years -- like the Dan Parker family or the BJ Walker family. Later Bill and Mary Carpenter -- although Bill attended as a teenager when I was there. I still tease him about some of my memories of those days.

The schoolhouse was where everything took place -- we stayed in it, worshiped in it, ate in it, etc., etc. And at night after the services were done, you would find a whole pile of teenagers on the porch at one end of the schoolhouse. It was one of those porches that had a ledge around it (as I remember) and several steps down to the ground level. Edna Kenyan, Elaine Baker (Beaver) and others, I'm sure, would somehow find our way out there .. and there were boys there!!

I learned what "grits" were -- and it wasn't the magazine (wasn't there a magazine named "Grit" or is my mind playing tricks). I wasn't sure I liked them (grits) -- I was way too much a northerner at heart!

So, John (Parker), thanks for the photos and memories you posted on Facebook and I loved the memories that Jo (Walker) Dahler shared, too. It was an awesome walk down memories' road. Little did we know then that one of the little guys (Stephen Antrim) who bit your shoulder whenever you picked him up (he probably wasn't much over a year old), would later be our miniature groom in our wedding! I know I have photos of those days but I am not like my sister who could probably go to an album and find a photo in a heartbeat. I'll have to go through a variety of boxes to find them!!

And I do have an autograph album somewhere from those days ... aw, the memories! I think that's enough for one night .... but I did spend a while on the phone this evening with my brother, Mark, who although he wasn't very old, had vivid memories of those campmeetings!!

No comments: