Monday, September 22, 2008

A very belated "Happy Birthday" ...


On my Facebook site, I posted a "Happy Birthday" note to Roxanne. Then it dawned on me, due to my accident (leg fracture), I had not even mentioned Sandi's birthday nor her anniversary. I fell on August 2nd -- Sandi's birthday was the 5th and her anniversary, the 11th -- the day of my surgery. So, while I will post Roxanne's birthday greeting here, I am going to post one for Sandi first.

We adopted Roxanne and about six weeks later, I became pregnant. It was not an easy pregnancy and I spent a great deal of the time in bed. Part of it was in a lot of pain as it appeared Sandi had decided to take up lodging near my gall bladder. Now, I am not an expert on medical issues so some may say that is not possible but I had typical gall bladder attacks for a couple months during the pregnancy. I could not eat -- they gave me medicine to eat. I took it .. still couldn't eat -- it had some kind of alcohol content in it so it appeared that I was semi-drunk when I couldn't get enough food down to absorb the alcohol. I lost weight rather than gained it and when she was born, I weighed (prior to her birth), 119 pounds! (My metabolism is perfect only when I'm pregnant, go figure!)

Because of all of this, I worried a lot about her and if she would be okay. Thankfully, she was! We have laughed over the years (she has, too) at her birth picture. I was "out" during her birth and I remembered that you were not allowed to drink until after your baby was delivered. I awoke when they asked if I wanted orange juice and then they asked if I would like to see my baby. I assured them I did -- I looked at her and commented, "She is sooo beautiful" .. all the time thinking, she was not a pretty baby at all. However, it wasn't long until she grew out of that and turned into a beautiful little baby with a dazzling smile. And today she is a beautiful, talented lady.

She was shy -- probably until she was in the 4th grade. She was put into speech class when she was in kindergarten. She wasn't necessarily making too much progress until she stated one day, "It's not that I can't talk, I just don't want to!" But, after her 4th grade, all of that changed. She had an excellent teacher who knew how to bring her out -- even if it was just setting a mircrophone on her desk so that when she answered a question, she had to speak into it! Wow! She decided to run for president in a school mock election as Ronald Reagan -- and had to go to each class and make speeches and answer questions. By the end of that year, we had a changed child.

Lest I write a book, I'll jump ahead. She and Roxanne have always been soulmates. I love that about them. Sandi and Tim didn't have children until they had been married for ten years but Sandi was Kasi's greatest advocate. She actually went along to school conferences since all her reticence in speech was long gone and she was happy to speak on their behalf. '
Almost 8 years ago, Tyler was born. He is a mix between Tim and Sandi although he usually looks like a clone of his dad! His expressions, etc. Sandi homeschools Tyler -- and he has inherited her love of books. He's an excellent reader already! The summer when she was 7, she read 42 books and they were not little books. One was "Christy"!!!

She became a wedding coordinator and managed a tux shop when she was barely out of her teens, if that. She could remember what girls had worn for their proms the year before -- so if something happened and she shares what she remembers, you can pretty well count on it being accurate.

Needless to say, I didn't have to coordinate weddings for our girls-- I was so blessed to have Sandi who knew how to make sure everything was covered. Literally! Her wedding was absolutely beautiful and all I had to do was follow the "to-do" list -- and not make any suggestions! (That's an inside joke!)

Sandi and Tim direct the Youth Camp for the South Atlantic Conference (Free Methodist Church). I can't begin to share all that has been accomplished through them but I always am amazed at the insight God has given to them to know how to handle difficult situations. As a result of their direction, there are three young men attending college to go into ministry. I know there are others as well and the list keeps growing. Check out her blog to find more information and camp and their life.

Sandi keeps me balanced -- during tough times, she can help me gain perspective. She's probably a great mix of Bob and me -- perhaps a little more of Bob in her than of me. She's a great mom, a great sister and for me, a wonderful daughter. (Don't worry --each girl is special to me in a unique way! They are all wonderful!! Of course, I have to say that .. I'm the mom!!)

So ... I'm sorry for not getting this posted sooner! Happy Birthday, Sandi -- a long time late!

Yesterday, Sandi opened her home for a baby shower for Kasi, our granddaughter. I thought I would share just a few photos of her special 'touches' -- of course, she received several comments on her designs. One thing she took from Platinum Weddings and made it for almost absolutely nothing.

No comments: