Tuesday, September 23, 2008


Today, Roxanne is celebrating her birthday -- I know she'd rather me not say how old she was but since a gal in a doctor's office guessed her in her mid-20's, I can say that she will be 38. It was 38 years ago this week that we found out that Roxanne was going to join our family. Quickest pregnancy around, huh? No ... we adopted Roxanne at just 12 days old. She came to our home directly from the hospital. She had bright brown eyes, wisps of curly black hair and a gorgeous complexion. She found her way into our hearts and into our home instantly.


Six weeks later, I became pregnant and Sandi was born on August 5, 1970. Roxanne talked early -- at seven months, she was saying, "Good-bye" and by the time she was 13 months old, she could talk in full sentences. Sandi, on the other hand, didn't talk until she was about 2-1/2. The reason? We're not really sure other than that Roxanne talked for her. She would come to me, "Mommy, Sandi wants a drink", etc. She truly didn't need to talk. Since the time of Sandi's birth, Roxanne and she have been soul mates. I truly do not know of any sisters who could be any closer -- other than my sister, Rachel, and me. We had two more daughters, Teri and Shonna. Teri decided somewhere along the line that there was something special about being adopted so she was quite upset when she found out she wasn't.

My grandmother was convinced that we might have adopted Sandi since she was very blonde and had blue eyes. The interesting thing is that Roxanne and I are very much alike -- that's good and bad. We butt heads a lot. We react in similar ways and that can be a challenge. However, I appreciate who she is probably more than she realizes! While she struggles as I do with emotional ups and downs, she also has an awesome sense of humor. I love to be around her when she has found something to be extremely humorous. She may end up on the floor -- well, not literally but almost -- and I will be more amused by her amusement than whatever it was that was so funny in the first place.

She loves to embarrass Bob but he always gets her back and she knows that. But, it is quite funny! She's talented musically and has sung since she was just a little girl. It's in her blood! She's part of two music groups now and that keeps her busy!! When she was about 23, we located Roxanne's birth mother. She came to Florida and Roxanne met her on TV -- "Eye on Tampa Bay" with host, Kathy Fountain, who is still an anchor on Channel 13. That began a journey which continues to this day. I keep in contact with Christine (her birth mother) from time to time and we established a good friendship.Over the years, people would ask the question (knowing we had adopted), "How many 'real' daughters do you have?'" Before I could answer, Bob would always say, "Four." The response, "No, you know what I mean -- 'real' daughters." Bob's answer, "Four".

I am sure that anyone who has adopted a child understands that an adopted child is just as 'real' as what others may consider 'real'. At least, that's the way it is in our home.
She also keeps busy being a wife and a mom of two -- Kasi, almost 18, and Kamen, 10. In just a few weeks, she will be 'grandma' when Kasi gives birth to a little girl, Ava June (June was my mother's middle name). Friends and family came to a baby shower for Kasi on Sunday -- I have no idea where they are going to put everything but somehow we will find space, I'm sure!! I haven't quite thought of myself as a great-grandmother but I'm sure I will be able fulfill the role easily.

I'll finish this up with a funny story -- one that both Christine and I have shared over the years and I may have shared it here already. When Christine was here to meet Roxanne, we took her to Gatorland in Kissimmee. She was rather spooked by the 'gators' but we had a good time. Roxanne, Kasi (who was just about 2), Christine and I decided to go to Wendy's before heading home. The guy who was waiting on us was rather rude and so I decided to promptly stick my foot in my mouth -- I must have been really hungry!! Roxanne and Kasi were already seated at a table -- Christine was with me at the counter. I said to the guy, "You see that gal over there with the little girl?" I put my arm around Christine and said, "That's OUR daughter!" Then I realized what I said and before I could catch myself, I said, "I know - it sounds kinky but it's not!" Christine has a sense of humor at least as big as Roxanne's so she about lost it ... I didn't say much more other than to pay for lunch and head for the table. I'm sure that guy scratched his head for a while trying to figure out what in the world I was trying to say!So, happy birthday, Roxanne -- and thank you, Christine, for the beautiful gift of a baby daughter who has been an awesome blessing in our lives!

1 comment:

Vonnie said...

That is HILARIOUS!! I would have loved to have heard it in person. I'm sure I would still be laughing!