Monday, October 13, 2008

Generations ...


This afternoon, Kasi and I sat and talked for a while -- just talked. About life, about her pregnancy, about motherhood .. and I realized the value of those kinds of talks. It seems that we are often so busy that we don't take time to simply 'talk'.

I had taken a break from work (income tax deadline is on Wednesday) and was sitting on my bed (which is one of those Craft-a-matic beds). She sat down in my wheelchair and we ended up talking for quite a long time.

In just a week or so, she will become a new mom. She's young, unmarried and with that comes uncertainties. Yet, one thing is certain -- the love of her family. Someone at church commented on our family and the love we show to each other. Do we have problems? We're normal and normal people have problems! But, we hang in there together through the good times and the tough times!

I get amused and sometimes frustrated when I hear people share how 'perfect' their children are. More often than not, they are either oblivious to what they see or their kids have them 'snowed'! Years ago, I was directing a ladies' retreat. One of the mothers was sharing how her children never gave her any trouble and how wonderful they were. Shonna told me later that the oldest daughter shared openly about her life and it was nothing like what her mother thought. (And the gal was still in her teens and living at home.)

Sooooo ... back the generations. We will soon have four generations here in our home. And I will begin to think about my generation (matriarch -- sounds ancient!!!) and what will we pass on to little Ava June when she enters this world.

Now ... I am so anxious to see what she will look like. I think if we were gambling folks we might lay odds on that. Ava's father is white, red headed and blue eyed. Care to guess??

Kasi is still high school and in high school she plans to stay. She has one of the leading parts in a school play in November! Wow ... I remember when I had Shonna. There was an 18 year old girl in the same hospital room as I was. She had her baby and within a couple hours had her bluejeans on and was ready to leave! Needless to say, she didn't leave immediately but she was ready.

But, I doubt the gal across the hall was ready to leave -- I'm not sure why I am rambling here -- she had a 14 lb. 8 oz. boy! No, you didn't read that wrong. They had to go to Pediatrics to get diapers to fit him. He had to be in an incubator for some problems and they basically had to almost cram him into it! Poor boy!!

It's going to be interesting to hear a baby's cry again ... and there will be another little person to love and cherish.

1 comment:

Vonnie said...

Very candid and beautiful. We are all full of faults, but families that love and support each other win!! That's just it, they WIN!!