Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Facebook ... where did they get that name???

I'm not sure who came up with the name "Facebook" but maybe it's the same guy who always sends a 'thank you' for doing something or other on it. I have yet to figure out all the various things you can do -- and am always hesitant in trying something too new in case I can't back out of it. However, 'facebook' has been a trip into the past for me! Wow .. I never dreamed I would connect with friends I hadn't seen or talked to in more years than I care to admit.

Some go way back to the late 50's and early 60's. I wasn't very old then (nor am I old yet?) but I have vivid memories of lots of people during those formative years of the Bible Missionary Institute. I keep threatening to write a book on what I remember. I was reminding my dad of some of those things when I visited him last week and I'm afraid he ended up with a head ache -- or some type of fog I created) as he remembered various people and events that happened over those years.

In the middle of our conversation, I did ask my dad if we could make a call to John Copeland. John's wife, Mary (Wardlaw), is doing very poorly physically and their daughter, Sharon, had encouraged calls. One of my dad's ministries recently (due to Macular Degeneration and Myasthenia Gravis put together) has been to make telephone calls. (That is a challenge now that he cannot see very well.) So, I called John and was so glad I could put my dad on the phone.

So ... back to Facebook -- I have nearly 300 friends and I am so impressed. (HA!) Then I look at my niece's facebook (Jene') and she has over 800, I believe. She must be soooo popular.

I am always delighted when one of the younger set decides to invite me to be their friend. I had several of those of the past few days -- I think they wanted to be able to tag my photos, too -- ones that I had taken of them -- such as Justin, Celia, Michael, etc. (They know who they are!)

It has been so fun getting acquainted with Noni Wisdom Knapp -- I remember hearing her name was back in the 1960's and thinking that she was one neat lady (fun loving, too) ... and that has been confirmed as we have gotten reacquainted. I didn't know her personally but knew her husband's family well -- maybe because her sister-in-law, Ann Turner, was my teacher in the 5th and 6th grades! She was one of my favorite teachers!!

Then I have connected with Becky Gray (daughter of Larry and Esther Gray) ... Esther's sister was another one of my teachers -- Emma Dean Crowe.
And connecting with Shirley Throne Fogleman's daughter and daughter-in-law ... what memories I could share with them of teenage years at the Throne's. (Shirley was my maid-of-honor!) Shirley and David had some neat kids (and grandkids, too!)
I am enjoying watching young people grow up -- second generations -- and it brings back memories of watching their parents grow up. Such as the Knuth clan! Wow -- wasn't it just yesterday that Rob and Ryn were just youngsters (along with us Boynton kids) and Randy was a baby? And now I'm keeping in touch with their family through their kids' Facebooks and what fun it is!!

Oh, I have plenty of things to do to keep my busy throughout the day so I'm not hanging out in Facebook for hours at a time. But, it's nice sometimes just to go visit with friends -- and I can do it right from here!!

I didn't realize how easy it was to IM (Instant Message) on Facebook until I saw someone jump out at me -- okay, jump out isn't the correct word but pop up sounded about as crazy. I had a great conversation with David Cary -- and was honored when he told me his wife, Angel, reads my blog daily -- Angel is a friend from childhood and is a special lady! (Right, David??)

I always love looking at pictures (oh, I love to read, too -- just look at our office and the boxes of books we give away!) But, looking at photos are so much fun ... so while I am here, I'll share a couple of photos that I picked up through Noni ... and see if anyone can pick out who these people are! I know that three of the guys have initials of ... "L.K.", "R.B." and "C.S." (And the second photo .. Rex and LaWanda Bullock).

1 comment:

Vonnie said...

Yeah, Facebook is fun. Well I see Rex Bullock in the first picture, but I wouldn't have known it if you hadn't said who the second picture was... thanks for the tip. :)