Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sobering thoughts ...

In the hubbub of life, we sometimes miss things that are sobering ... like the upcoming youth camp Sandi and Tim are directing. Oh, I know -- youth camps are to be soooo much fun and I can guarantee you, they will have more fun than they can imagine at this camp. I've seen the schedule and there is definitely time for that!

However, there is a much more sobering thought. I have listened to Sandi talking or texting or emailing moms and counselors as they talk about what issues the youth of today are facing. I shared a link to Sandi's blog and in it, she shared some of the issues that teens are facing. And, yes, some of them are coming to camp with those issues very much a reality in their lives.

I asked Sandi if I could share her devotionals on a daily basis. Actually, she and Bob put these together as they have for the past four years -- this is year #5 -- wow!! She gives him her theme and her theme verses and he goes from there. This year, it was interesting ... while he was working on the actual devotionals, she had written up the questions for each day. The questions relate to the devotionals but also to the theme for that particular day. It was amazing how the questions related so closely.

I am always so excited to hear the reports of camp. I am disappointed in a sense that I will be gone next weekend so will have to wait until I get home to get the whole scoop. However, I'm sure I will hear an abbreviated version each day when she calls to check up on Tyler who will be staying with me as he always has done. We have our special time -- and always go to see the most current kids' movie out. The problem one year was that there were three new movies out! Wow! Tyler was excited and I was tired! Although that was the same year when he shared a testimony with a teenager who said he didn't think he believed in God. That didn't stop Tyler!

So ... I would ask for special prayer for them. I know I will be ... and I'll post the first devotional on Tuesday morning -- they just arrive on Monday so won't start the devotionals until Tuesday morning. The counselors get together early to go over them -- however, they have all had copies of them all for some time so that they could be prepared to share with their campers.

So, these are my sobering thoughts for today ... a heart that is a little heavy when I think of what some of these teens are experiencing and praying that they truly sense God's Hope for their lives next week!

No comments: