Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cleared for Toe Touches

That's what the orthopedic surgeon told me today at my follow-up checkup. He did tell me that I can 'trash' my brace, also. He told me I was doing very well -- and while I was still not considered "weight-bearing", I could do "toe touches". I can touch my foot on the floor
to help with balance, he added. I didn't share that I need all the help I can get in that area although he's probably already figured that out! I always thought 'toe touches' were exercises -- you bent over and touched your toes. Well, I now know a new definition!

I gather that my doctor is a training surgeon since he has had someone with him when I have seen him and it's been interesting to hear him talk about my surgery and how I am healing. He showed his trainee/colleague how the bone graft is healing. Of course, you could see the plates and screws, too. (Okay, probably too much info.)

So, while I am not walking yet, I am definitely on my way. After showing off my mobility in moving my leg, I asked if I was doing well and his comment was, "I should say so."

I think I'm going through withdrawal though .. I still have my brace on and Roxanne thinks we should have some sort of ceremony to get rid of it. I'm considering that ...

1 comment:

Sandi H said...

Mom,
I think we should have a ceremony - maybe we could burn it??! j/k But it (and you, and us!) have been through a lot over the past few months! So glad that you have worked hard enough to move on to the next step of literally getting you back on your feet! We're proud of you!
Sandi