Friday, October 10, 2008

Questions ... Do I have the answers???


RJ spent about an hour at our house tonight -- and he had more questions than you can imagine. The conversations went something like this ... First, he looked at my incision from my recent surgery. (Which, by the way, doesn't look that bad -- except it is about 14 inches long!)

"Nana, where do you get that big scrape?" I explained to him about my surgery.

"Did it hurt?" Well, it did for a little while but it really doesn't now. Okay, satisfied for a little while.

He told me about playing soccer tomorrow and wondered if I could come. I hadn't known about the game and had scheduled a "LINDA" luncheon here at noon. (They are bringing food -- I don't have to anything but open my door and welcome them in!)

RJ looked at me and said, "LINDA Luncheon, what's that." "Well, RJ, that's for ladies whose name is "Linda"."

This was a keeper ... he looked at me really seriously and said, "Is YOUR name Linda?" He's five but to him, I have never been anything but "Nana"!

I asked him, "Didn't you know my name was 'Linda'?" He assured me, "I never knew that!" Then he asked, "Are there lots of 'Lindas'?" Yep, lots of them. "Do they all look like you?" Okay, this is getting really interesting. I assured him they didn't. "Are there more than 100 Lindas?" Yes, I'm sure there are. "Maybe a hundred thousand?" At that point, the conversation sort of dwindled.

The conversation a little later somehow got around to my parents and I really can't remember how we got there -- but we did. He got to talking about his "Grumpa" Keeling being really, really, old. (Don't tell Don - Ron's dad - that!) He wondered about my parents and asked where they lived. I told him that my mother had gone to heaven.

"Did she die?" Yes, she died. "Does she know God now?" (In his mind, I'm sure he was meaning was she 'with' God now.) I assured him that she was. He told me that since his 'grumpa' was really old, he thought he might die pretty soon, too. Then he decided, "Well, it will be a while yet. Probably a long while."

So ... I've had a bunch of questions -- but not enough answers for the questions, I'm sure. There will definitely be more! There were more this evening but can't remember them now. About 4am, I'll probably remember!!

1 comment:

Vonnie said...

Just love the way kids think!!!