Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Congrats to Shonna!! She passed the Boards!


Shonna not long ago finished Massage Therapy School. Nine months, four nights a week, four hours a night! Once that was completed, she had to study for her 'boards'. Now I will admit that I wasn't aware that Massage Therapy is as complicated as it is. I really had no clue! But, when she asked if she I wanted to help her study for the boards, I thought it just might be interesting. On general information, I did relatively well -- scoring about 70%. Okay, so it's not 95% but when I didn't even understand some of the multiple choice answers, some of my guesses were just lucky! There were words I had never heard much less been able to pronounce. I didn't realize how important what medicines you are taking affect whether or not you may get a massage!

When she got into Eastern Medicine questions (which was a requirement to learn), I really had no clue. I did ask her if she would give me a few of the questions she studied (both general and Eastern medicine) and she sent these to me.

When she read the first five or six questions on the test on Monday, she said she was rather apprehensive -- and drew a huge sigh of relief when the computer responded at the end of the test that she had indeed passed!

Congratulations, Shonna! I am proud of you!

So ... here's for those who would like to see some of the questions and take a stab at the answers (some of you medical personnel probably know them!).

1. what is the name of the long, flattened tubual attached to the superior portion of the testes that functions as a holding area where sperm mature.

a. ductus deferens

b. epididymis

c. bulbospongiosus

d. oligodendroglia

2. Which type of massage is indicated for a patient with chronic fatigue syndrome?

a. Deep Tissue

b. Trigger Point Therapy

c. Light, relaxing massage

d. Massage is contra indicated.


3. Which season relates to the wood element in traditional Chinese medicine?

a. Spring

b. Summer

c. Fall

d. Winter


4. Which of the following is a fu organ?

a. Large intestine

b. Pericardium

c. Kidney

d. Liver


5. Which kind of lever is great for generating power but bad for generating speed? Examples of this lever, also called the "nutcracker" lever, include the jaw (back molars) and the ankle joint (plantar flexors with foot on the ground).

a. First-class Lever

b. Second-class Lever

c. Third-class Lever

d. Fourth-class Lever

1 comment:

Vonnie said...

Congrats to Shonna... I know some of the words but I forget the correct answers. :)