Friday, October 10, 2008

More "Happy Thoughts"

Teri shared the following about Grandma Boynton (my dad has enjoyed listening to the ones I've shared and Rachel is going to read them to him, as well. With his macular degeneration, he is unable to read.)

I was with you all in thought about Grandma yesterday, but, as usual, too busy to respond until today.

I can't say that there is one thing that sticks out about Grandma. There's so much. The things that I remember most:

Golden Grahams in the morning in big bowls (in the two story house with Zep) and we had to drink the milk (YUCK! I always hated milk!!)

That Lipton tea she made that I loved so much.

Birthday calls from both Grandma and Grandpa that always started with "Grandpa, are you on?"

The willingness to pray on the drop of a hat. And pray about anything, from a safe car ride to a good night sleep.

The way she cried when she found out I was going to a Catholic church. She said "Oh Teri, please do not join a cult."

She so desperately hinted how she wished everyone could get together for their 60th wedding anniversary. I was up there several months before we would be returning for that anniversary get together. She kept saying, "Now, you know that our anniversary is coming up." We all just smiled. (Note: We had a surprise celebration already planned -- they didn't learn about it until about a day before the celebration.)

Her IMs that read like long lost letters. (She thought you wrote IM's -- "Dear Teri" ... "Love, Grandma")

When my kids have a nightmare, they come crawling into my room saying "Mommy, will you pray with me." We all know where that tradition originated! (Yes, mom, you don't even have to say it!)

When I lived in Atlanta, Grandma and Grandpa came through on their way to Florida. Regan was about 1 and Marley 2. She chased them around the house trying to get a hug and kiss. Grandpa sat back on a chair and just waited, as usual. They were all over him and she was so hurt. He kept telling her to just sit back, they'd come one their own time. She did not like that answer! She wanted a hug! Now!

Watching her watch everyone at family gatherings. A couple of times, when I was up there, I caught her just looking around, admiring everyone. It was beautiful to see her sit back and appreciate her family just getting together.

The way she felt left out as we all honored Grandpa at their anniversary dinner. I think we all thought Grandpa would be the first to go to Heaven, so we kept honoring him. I can't remember what she said, but it was along the lines of "I'm here too!"

Most of you know that I went through my fair share of life events, for lack of a better word. As religious as she was, she was my go to person when I had a problem. I could call her and unload EVERYTHING ( ok, almost everything) and she wouldn't judge. She just kept praying for me and redirecting me. I would say that she and Grandpa (along with my mom and dad, of course) are the only reasons I survived all of those "life events." (Okay, a shout out to Gary and Chris.) I believe their prayers protected me and eventually I was redirected. Thank God!!

I sat in her chair after her funeral and was overwhelmed by the peace that filled up that room. Her desire to get near to God has always inspired me. I'm not sure that there are many like her. I can only aspire right now.

What I learned from her is the importance of having the unconditional love for others that only God provides. There's only one place to get it! She had it and gave that to all of us. I don't think her disagreements with the things that we all chose to do ever affected the love that she had for us. I canNOT say that I'm great at it. But what a testimony to a true Christian when you can look past all someone's "life events" and just love them anyway. I MISS THAT WOMAN MORE THAN WORDS CAN SAY! I pray that we all can look deep inside and manifest something that would make her proud. I'm so proud to be their granddaughter.

So I guess my happy thought is: I'm so happy that I can take all of the above and pass it down to a new generation. I wish my girls and Rudy could have known her better.

No comments: