Friday, October 26, 2007

What's in a name??

I doubt that when I was in my 20's raising four girls, I really thought much about being a grandmother. That word sounded quite old -- and the name "Grandma" seemed to depict someone with white hair in a rocking chair. That didn't sound like me and it isn't. Yes, here I am a grandmother but with a different name than "Grandma". I'm not sure if any of the grandchildren have called me that and if so, it was only in passing. Usually it is Nana, Nina or Nana Linda or like Marley who called me "Winda" for a short time. Each of those names are very special to me ...


A couple days ago, Kasi came into my office area and stood behind me and put her hands on my shoulders. I suspected that she might want to use my computer but what I heard was, "I just came to say 'I love you'"! What a treasure! Tyler will be busy playing or watching a DVD and all at once, he will come running, throw his arms around me and say, "I love you, Nana" ... and off he goes back to what he was doing, hardly missing a beat. Just the other night, Kamen came in to show me something he had done ... and I was so glad that I was on his special list! Although he is now 9 years old, it's not uncommon for him to simply come up and give me a hug.


Today was one of those days when there was humor in the mix. While I was driving to Atlanta, I talked to all four of the girls along the way. Whenever I talk to Shonna, RJ usually wants to have a conversation with me so I beat him to the punch today and asked to talk to him. He talked for a few minutes about what was going on in his day and then he said, "What is your name?" I thought perhaps he hadn't recognized me so I asked him, "Who am I?" His answer, "Nina." I said, "Who are you?" "RJ!" "Aren't you Robert Joseph?" "No, I am RJ Keeling!!" "Aren't you really Robert Joseph Keeling?" He thought for a minute. "Well, I am Robert Joseph but I like to be called 'RJ'!" Okay, then ...


His next question was classic. He asked me, "What is your full name?" I asked him to repeat his question. He did. So, I said, "Linda Joanne Bedford."


He said, "Here, you need to tell Mommy," .. as he handed the phone to Shonna. I guess he wasn't sure that she knew my 'full' name! So, we'll see what he calls me the next time I see him or if he remembers my full name. Somehow, I think he probably will!!

No comments: