Monday, June 2, 2008

Small Towns USA

You'll notice I mentioned "small towns" .. I've seen a few of those in the past week! It reminded me of visiting my grandmother in a relatively small town -- nothing like how small these were I just visited. Spiceland, Indiana. Actually, I thought their only claim to fame was a four way stop in the middle of town -- and the small post office I had difficulty finding. However, I was sadly mistaken -- it's much bigger than that. It 'officially' boasts a population of around 750 -- my brother thinks it's closer to 800 but I have no idea where he came up with that idea.


Rachel and I took a leisurely stroll (by car, of course) through Spiceland as we needed to pick up a crock pot (no, I didn't say 'crackpot') from a friend. (Have I already posted this before? If so, please attribute it to my age!) I was soon to find out that Spiceland is also home to a fairly large company - Draper. Rachel tried to explain what they make and I'm not sure exactly what it is but they ship whatever product they make to all ends of the earth. Now don't you feel sufficiently educated about absolutely nothing! I did find out that they employ about 500 at that plant although Rachel thought it might be more than that. The 500 number came from one of the employees. We were told though that kids who grow up in Spiceland find a reason to leave as soon as they can manage it .. not sure why. Seems like a nice little town .. quiet, the neighbors stand out in their yards talking (in a small town, talking might be more akin to gossip), little kids are riding their bicycles down the street ... seems to be pretty safe! (The 'white' area in the photo below is Draper.)




Then there is Lewisville -- when I thought towns wouldn't get much smaller than Spiceland, I went with Rachel to a graduating senior's reception in Lewisville. I knew it had to be a small town when the only stoplight in town held a small sign pointing to the right ... "Lee's Open House". It has to be a small town when there is either only one Lee or everyone knows which Lee they are talking about. I think most of the town must have shown up at Lee's house for the hog roast -- or else many were driving from some distance -- I think the latter was the case since we saw friends we hadn't seen in a year or so since they moved away. Which meant they moved maybe an hour from here. In Florida, if you move away, we assume you have changed states.


All kidding aside, it was nice to drive on the highways of Indiana as it brought back memories of Illinois and heading to my uncle and aunt's farm. I'm not a 'farmer gal' at all -- probably more citified than I want to admit, but I sure loved the time we spent there at the farm. I still am amazed how farmers can plant such straight lines (corn, etc.) I've flown over corn fields and am so awed by this. I'm sure there has to be some simple equation .. then again, maybe it's a special art -- one that is way beyond me!!!


So ... I think I have rambled enough for an evening. I am winding down after a very full week finished by a video game with two nieces and two nephews -- there were only 'four' controllers so figure that one out! (Actually, Juliana and Jimmy traded off -- I told them ONLY ten turns and then I was off and running.) Of course, I didn't win -- although I won the first mini-game completely by default. Couldn't tell you what I did to win but got a 'high five' from Shaley who announced, "You won!!"


I haven't figured out why I only play video games at Rachel's -- I think I need to go home and play some of these with grandkids -- maybe I've learned enough that I can beat someone at some game -- some time -- then again, probably not! They are just tooooo good at it!

Goodnight ....

1 comment:

Vonnie said...

Well, this is what I get for thinking... I thought that since the top of your blog hadn't changed for several days, you didn't have any new posts. So I guess I was wrong, and I don't have time to read everything word for word but it is nice to see all of the pictures!!