Tuesday, August 19, 2008

"F" is for "Fickle Fay" ..

When I was growing up, I heard the word "fickle" more often than I do now. Typically we used it as a label for someone who would change his/her mind often. I had already started writing this when I picked up the newspaper today and the word "Fickle" referring to "Fay" jumped out from bold headlines!

We need to get some work done on our roof one of these days (it seems everyone in Florida has those issues!), so when we heard that "Fickle" Fay was bearing down on our part of Florida and threatening to unload truckloads of rain, Tim tarped our roof out of precaution. Of course, as he did it, we all thought, "Yup, just as soon as he gets this done, Fay will change her mind and go a different direction." And -- he did and she did!! We may have some rain today (the key word being 'may') but we will be prepared and I'm glad for that.

I still am amused when I remember my mother asking me what the difference between a tornado and hurricane was and without even thinking, my answer was "about a week"!!

While we really don't sit around for 'about a week' twiddling our thumbs waiting on " Fickle Fay" or her relatives to make up their mind on what route she/they may take, we also are very glad we are not in tornado alley where there is little warning and so much devastation. We have learned from experience that it is still very good to be prepared for a hurricane / tropical storm. And, of course, the kids are thrilled today since all schools are out!

By the way, I don't think it has rained here yet and it's after noon! We could actually use the rain but who knows ...

No comments: