Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Musings ....

This is one of those days that I wish things could be different -- that I didn't have to rely on my girls for simple duties that should be so easy and personal. Yet, they do the tasks at hand with no complaints. You really don't realize how much you do for yourself until you have to rely on someone else to do them. Like getting out of a chair -- but, I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier and perhaps I did -- and, if so, I'll blame it on the drugs!! A couple had access to a lift chair through some ex-relatives ... and I became the most appreciative benefactor!! Wow -- press a button and voila! Up I go and it's easy to stand on the one good leg since I have been instructed to put NO weight on the other leg for quite a while. When I'm ready to sit down, it takes me down easily -- and I can actually got all the way down to a lying position (no, that's not telling 'lies' position). It also has a computer 'stand' which I am using right now. For some reason, this sounds familiar so I probably wrote this to someone somewhere recently.

So, thanks to Dex and Grace Martin for such a lovely gift!! It looks brand new and still had the original info in the pocket!!

So, back to our girls -- their checklists have all kinds of stuff on it (some unmentionable here) -- from helping to get me up (although I did that twice during the night and Roxanne about went into shock this morning when she found me up and in the lift chair all by myself -- thank you very much! Oh, I was extraordinarily careful and had use of the walker and it was all of about five feet away!!)

So, as they ran a couple errands , they were checking ..


  • Glass of water -- check

  • Home phone -- check

  • Cell phone -- check

  • Computer -- check

  • Paper / pens -- check

  • TV remote (loving the Olympics right now) -- check

  • Medications (nicely labeled and in their little compartments by the time -- wonder why they don't seem to trust my memory) -- check ("Mom, there are two pills here -- did you forget to take one?")

  • Newspaper and pen / pencil to do crossword puzzel (my grandmother would be sooo proud)

That's what I have in hand .. as they went out the door, I was asking ... "Do you have your list?"


  • Publix -- few supplies I need (some they'll get at Walgreen's)

  • Walgreens -- thank you cards -- one especially for 5th floor North at Bay Front Medical Center

  • Post Office

  • Subway - lunch special there and right now, I don't have a great appetite (why did it take a broken leg to help squelch my appetite!!! I just want to keep up the weight loss in a smart way .. and usually the 'smart way' for me is not the way I take!! Some people get hit over the head as a reminder -- maybe I got hit in the leg to remind me to 'take it off' .. weight, of course!)

Poor girls-- "Mom, what would you like to eat?" "Don't have a clue -- I'm not hungry and when I'm not hungry I can't think of a thing I want ... " So, I think they may try to surprise me ... we'll see!

So, for a few minutes this morning, I had a pity party for myself -- maybe that's not what it really is but I wish so badly I could do everything I need to do for myself and right now, I can't -- for a person who's spiritual gift is "serving", it makes it about as tough as it can get and I think God wants me to learn some lessons through this process. I hope I do it quickly so I can get on to the next chapter!!!

1 comment:

Bette said...

You are looking great, considering all the traumatic "stuff" you have been through this past week or so. It is amazing what they go through to make a person well, or put them back together again, isn't it. Bet you are glad you got your hair done, before all this started. One less thing to worry about. Seriously, you sound like the old Linda I love and care about and I'm continuing to pray for recovery. Get well soon...bette