Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Not fun ... not really!


It depends on whether you have a weak stomach, I guess. I wasn't sure I even wanted to watch. Today was my follow-up appointment with my surgeon. What made it very interesting is that he is a teaching doctor and had an intern with him. To hear him tell my story, from the time he called me in Georgie, was very intriguing. Knowing he is a very busy and in high demand surgeon and that my 3 hour surgery had been an add-in a couple weeks ago made me realize just how good God is!

He asked me if I had seen the "before" x-rays. I told him "yes" but his response was basically, "Did you REALLY see all the pieces?" I had .. yikes! And then I looked at the after x-rays and was stunned at what he had accomplished. Roxanne and Shonna were with me and they were amazed at his handiwork as well. Of course, he shared with the intern about the challenge of the blood clot. He explained to me the miracle of getting a vascular surgeon to do the surgery to put in the filter prior to the main surgery. He said because the risk is so high and the odds of malpractice suits, it is hard to even find surgeons to do it. But, he said this one didn't even hesitate when my surgeon called him. Wow .. a God thing for sure! I am still on blood thinners and will probably be for a couple months. I will know that tomorrow as I go to that doctor in the morning.

The next task was the removal of staples and stitches ... will it hurt? Ha! That is a question from the person who the doctor had just described to the intern as "one tough lady". I think that was meant as a compliment. He recalled the conversation we had when he called me in Georgia. Because I was not moving my leg, I was in no pain. He said, "I couldn't believe that you were as cheerful with a broken femur!!"
The staples were a piece of cake relatively speaking ... the stitches were another thing. I have healed so nicely that some of the stitches had been healed over so the gal who was removing them actually went and got another nurse to help her. Ouch .. No, actually, it wasn't as bad as I thought it could be and Roxanne and Shonna kept us all amused so my mind was on anything but that. As you can see by the photos below, they were having a grand time between wincing watching and keeping me amused.


The gal removing the stitches was quite amused by it all and I think she felt it kept my mind off of it so made it easier for her. All in all -- it was an okay day. I will have physical therapy and can do no weight bearing for two months -- my goal is to pull some weight off (ha! wish it were that easy) before then so I won't have as much to 'bear'!
I'll share a few photos here .. if it is too 'gross', just look the other way as Tyler has decided he would do. He was not too happy to see this long scar on my leg and wondered if my leg would ever get better! We have assured him that it will!!!

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Linda,
We are glad that you are doing better. Jay, Jayde and I have been praying for you, Bob and the girls. I know when I tore my ACL and had to have surgery I thought I was going to die from the pain. I cannot imagine the pain you have endured. And don't you just love the 'home nurses' you get. I know I had a pretty good nurse when I was laid up. She made sure I had everything I needed for the day. She had to because I was her daughter. Anyway, I am glad you are getting better and try to do everything you are told to do. You don't want to have to go thru this again. Keep the stories coming they make my day!
Love you,
Leanne