Monday, December 1, 2008

December 2, 1944

... that was the date of my parents' you can see from the photo, my dad is in military uniform and within a little over a month, he would be heading overseas to fight in World War II. They planned their wedding quickly -- my dad said he wanted to be married before he went overseas because he fully expected he would nev wedding. Aser come home again. For anyone who knows my dad, they will know he is one of the most patriotic men you will ever meet.

They were married for almost 62 years when my mother went on to heaven. They were committed to one another until the day they died. Oh, they were typical married folks and I chided them when they got to discussing something that neither wanted to give in on! For many years, they kept their disagreements away from us (kids). They wanted us never to doubt their love for one another and were always hesitant about discussing anything they felt would undermine the other. So much so that we had to remind them that they needed to be a little more transparent so we would all know we were normal!! But, I appreciated that so much about them. Their disagreements were not in front of us -- other than small things that didn't really matter in the scope of things.

My dad misses my mother a lot -- some days more than others. I think he misses having her walk by and grabbing her hand just for a moment or his request to her, "Please pray with me", when he was going through a difficult struggle. He had health issues that we expected to take him on to heaven before my mother. But, God chose to take her first.

My dad treated my mother like a queen ... If they were riding in a car together, I don't know when I ever saw him not open the door for her and then making sure she was comfortably seated before he went around to his side. He taught us that men should always walk closest to the road when walking down a sidewalk -- that a man should be the protector. Of course, he taught my brothers to open doors for ladies and to always be polite and courteous. He was and still is a true gentleman. We used to laugh whenever Rachel and I would call and my dad answered. "This is one of my sweethearts -- I have three, you know." (Of course, he added the granddaughters on after that.)

He strives to treat Rachel and me like queens now -- oh, he can't open the door for us but he is quick to grab our hands as we pass by (if he can see them since his sight is so limited). He never ends a phone call without saying, "I love you sooo much".

I am sure tomorrow will bring back a myriad of memories to him ... we'll all call him sometime during the day and remind him that we haven't forgotten! After all, they have truly left us a legacy of love!

I have gone through a lot of photos over the past few years and it's hard to know which ones to post. Rachel and I had fun going through old photograph albums -- basically pulling them apart to give photos to each of the kids. My mother was one of those who had a camera handy -- okay, so mine is in my purse -- is that handy enough?

So, Happy Anniversary, Dad ... we know that Mother is never far from your mind and we want to honor her on this very special day as well.



Notice in this photo below that Dad is holding my mother's hand -- while we knew we were important in their lives as children, we always knew their relationship came first -- as it should! Great examples of marriage and as parents!

No comments: