Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Reflections on my parents' wedding day ...

My Aunt Wanda shared this with me this morning ...

Dear Linda,

How well I remember Dec. 2nd. We had moved to Chicago in the fall of 1943. Your mother had started nurses training, so she was left behind. But when she quit that, my Dad insisted that she come to Chicago also. She also got a job at Montgomery Wards and your Dad was drafted.

I know she went out to visit him in California in February. But then when he was to go overseas, understandably, they wanted to get married. They told my parents on Saturday and were married the following Saturday, in Rock Island. Thanks to a lot of help from my parent's friends, the Bertlesons, there was a very traditional wedding. Naomi wore their daughter's wedding gown, and she had two (I think) friends as bridesmaids. I was only 13, so my job was to be the candle lighter!. They had a reception in the church basement. I think they had the rest of the week for a "honeymoon". They may have gone to White Pines State Park. Then at the end of the week, I think it was, that Dick had to report for duty.

Of course, during the war, it was not at all unusual for couples to have a "hurry up" wedding. I know they never regretted theirs!

Love, Aunt Wanda


No comments: