Saturday, October 20, 2007

Who's confused? Me?? Where am I??

Teri called quite some time ago and asked if I would babysit their children while they went to Orlando for a football game (UCF). They planned to spend the night in Orlando and then run in a 5 mile run tomorrow. I assured her I thought I could arrange that and so the confusion began.

Let’s see – I’m going to keep the three girls and Rudy. Seems pretty simple – 3 plus 1 equals 4. Simple enough. I can do the math. But, then again – there’s modern math and of that, I’m clueless, it seems.

She called back – Regan and Bailey were going to Cypress Gardens during the day on Saturday. No problem. That’s minus two for part of the time. I can handle the two that are there especially since Marley is Rudy’s second mom.

Next call …. “Mom, I don’t think this is a problem at all. But, our friends may be going with us to the football game.” They have two children, ages 4 and a baby six weeks younger than Rudy (he’s almost 6 months old.) (Two boys) However, Marley’s friend, Meredith, 12, would come, too, so she could help out with the two boys. Marley would have one boy, Meredith would have the other one. Okay .. now, let’s see. We have added two boys and Meredith. That means seven kids right … I told Teri that she was beginning to push it … thankfully, I can’t offend her easily.

I told her that I could do that if Regan and Bailey would spend the night with the friends they were going to Cypress Gardens with. I wasn’t sure I could manage all seven overnight. (Even though Marley and Meredith were the ‘official’ responsible ones for the two extra boys and have taken the super sitter course.) So, now I am minus two. That makes five, right?

Teri called again … well, she had a new scenario. The friends couldn’t go now so the two boys would not be staying with us. So, we are down to four since Meredith wouldn’t be coming – oh, but now, Regan and Bailey can stay at home overnight (except for going to Cypress Gardens for the day) so we’ll be back to the original ones we started with … or would we???

Teri had forgotten to tell me – they wouldn’t be spending the night in Orlando since Jeff had injured his knee so obviously would not be running tomorrow. So, that meant I wouldn’t be the responsible person overnight. (Okay, so I’m relieved! Trying to get Rudy to take a bottle at 4am can be a little tricky especially when he prefers his mommy and has learned to protest quite vehemently.)

I called Teri on the way here this morning … who would actually be at home today? She told me that Bailey had spent the night with a friend – she was on her way to pick up Regan and Marley at friends’ homes – oh, by the way, she wondered if Meredith could come and hang out with Marley? Sure – we’ll make it five again! I arrived to another change. Meredith’s grandparents are in town and want Meredith there with them, so Marley is staying with her for the day. She will be back about the same time the other girls will arrive from Cypress Gardens – 8:30pm.

Whew .. we have it down .. or do we??? Nope, not at all. Meredith’s mom calls. It seems that her son has a ball game and Marley and Meredith don’t want to go – can they come back here and stay while they are at the ball game and then will be picked up – they’ll come back around 8:30. It’s raining .. it has been most of the morning. Will that affect anything? Of course not – at least, for Teri and Jeff. Who cares if it rains at a football game.

However, Regan’s ride just called – the mom, Barbara, who is taking her and Bailey. It’s too rainy to go to Cypress Gardens right now so they’ll go to the mall for a while and then back to Cypress Gardens for the Scary Halloween parade.

So after Regan leaves and Marley and Meredith get picked up, it will be just Rudy and me … just us!! (That is two, right?) For maybe an hour or two … and during that time, I will try to get him to take a bottle.

Bailey just stuck her head in the door … they are here to pick up Regan. Bailey came in the back door and someone is knocking at the front door. It’s Barbara and she has decorated cookies! She tells me that if it doesn’t rain, she’ll keep them all at Cypress Gardens until about 9:00pm.

So … let’s see … I started with four, added three, took away some … added another one – I’m totally confused …

Right now, Marley, Meredith and Rudy are here … and it’s relatively quiet. Sisterly love has not ruled this afternoon so all is quiet for now … somehow this house reminds me so much of when we had four little girls … but I think I’ll pack that memory away for another rainy day …

It’s all about making memories … and I’m making some that will last a lifetime!!

No comments: