Thursday, April 24, 2008

Survival Swimming Lessons .. throw 'em in the pool!

Well, not really, but almost! I took Rudy to his swimming lesson today. Jeff warned me that it would seem like torture. He had taken Rudy yesterday and was less than happy to see Rudy less than thrilled with being thrown in to a pool. Okay, that's stretching it a little but not a lot. I watched today and managed to keep my emotions at bay when I saw the teacher push Rudy down into the water and his arms and legs going every which way. Then the teacher calmly turned him on his back and he began to float. At not time did he seem to inhale water where he would choke. He wasn't happy and was protesting vehemently that he was not happy at all to be there. (By the way, the photo above was taken BEFORE the lesson!)
However, in a state where the #1 cause of death in toddlers is drowning, survival swimming lessons are almost a necessity. They literally teach the infants and toddlers survival skills in case they fall into a pool. Right now, Rudy is just wearing his 'swimmies' but soon, he will be fully clothed when he learns to float.

He hasn't really mastered the floating yet as Michelle (the instructor) told me that he when he learns to float correctly, his arms and legs will be still as it is a resting position. After falling into a pool, the child will learn to fight to the top and then flip over on their back and rest. I was amazed that Rudy did float as far as keeping his face just above the water.

So, while I wasn't happy to see him so unhappy, I know he will never remember this -- he will only remember that he has always known how to swim!!

I loved this photo -- we came home and I fed him. Whatever it was he was chewing on here, it had an unusual response!!

2 comments:

Bette said...

At fist I though the second picture showed his frustration at as you put it sort of "being thrown in the pool". Glad to know it was only reaction to something Nana was trying to feed him. What a sweet little boy....bette

Vonnie said...

That's neat that they "throw" them in so young. If it saves their life then it's worth it!!